I’ve taught a variety of courses during my career, but here are some courses that I’ve taught recently.
- Communication Theory: This course introduces communication studies majors to foundational social scientific and humanistic communication theories.
- Social Media & Personal Relationships: This upper-level undergraduate seminar focuses on classic and current theories of computer-mediated communication in order to understand contemporary communication technologies.
- Social Media & Personal Relationships: Thematically, this course is much like its undergraduate-level cousin, but implements more original source readings and requires more advanced student work.
- Research Methods in Communication: This course focuses on obtaining social scientific data, including research design, research ethics, and a broad overview of quantitative and qualitative approaches.
- Advanced Research Methods in Communication: This course focuses on analyzing quantitative social science data, including correlations, t-tests, analysis of variance (ANOVA), and regression.
I’ve also worked closely with Em Griffin and Glenn Sparks on the textbook A First Look at Communication Theory, with the 11th edition forthcoming in Spring 2022. Written in an engaging and conversational style, the book introduces students to metatheoretical traditions and specific communication theories.